Emma Wade-Smith is His Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for North America and Consul General in New York representing the United Kingdom. Emma shares how to leverage social media platforms to transform your personal and professional brand while remaining authentic, increasing engagement, and spreading positive messaging.
- Take a hands-on approach to your social media presence and activity. Avoid simply handing over the keys to someone else. By logging in, liking, and engaging personally, you can maintain authenticity and connect with your audience.
- Find the right balance between personal and professional in your social media content. Some things are better shared from a personal account than a company account. For example, leveraging personal interests like football while delivering the message.
- Understand the strengths and characteristics of each social media platform. LinkedIn works well for longer-lasting, substantive content, while Twitter is more news-oriented and in-the-moment. Tailor your messages and formats accordingly.
- Major industry events can be leveraged as prime opportunities to connect with targeted people and convey important messages. These events provide a platform to engage with senior officials and decision-makers who may otherwise be difficult to reach.
- Great social media content is a team sport. Work closely with your content producers, marketing, and communications teams to brainstorm ideas, leverage their expertise, and create engaging content together.
- Focus on highlighting positive stories, successful investments, and the impact of your work. Use social media to showcase the extraordinary things people and companies are doing, even during challenging times.
- Stay true to your personality and let your enthusiasm and energy shine through your social media presence. Connect with your audience by sharing your passion for the work you do, engaging them with your genuine interest and enjoyment.
Quote of the Show:
- “It was really important to me, right from the very start, that people got a sense of who I am and the passion and the energy that I personally bring to the role” - Emma Wade-Smith
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ewadesmith
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/emmawadesmith/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/emma.wadesmith/
- UK Department for Business and Trade Website: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-business-and-trade
Creators and Guests
Anthony Shop believes in the power of people-centered branding and marketing to create a bright future. He chairs the National Digital Roundtable, the premier convener of digital innovators, leaders and policy shapers. Anthony also is the Co-Founder and Chief Strategy Officer of Social Driver, a digital services firm that helps companies and non-profits establish winning strategies with social media, websites, creative, and advertising. An enthusiastic presenter and teacher, he has led executive-level training for Amazon, PepsiCo, NASA, The British Embassy and the Bipartisan Policy Center. He has been recognized as an “OUTstanding LGBT Role Model” by The Financial Times, “40 Under 40” by The Washington Business Journal, and Business Leader of the Year by the DC Chamber of Commerce. A former newspaper reporter, Anthony was the first new media professional elected to the National Press Club’s Board of Governors. He currently serves on the boards of Leadership Greater Washington and LearnServe International. He earned his MBA from The George Washington University School of Business, where he teaches as an adjunct lecturer.
His Majesty’s Trade Commissioner for North America and Consul General in New York representing the United Kingdom.
Robert is an Executive Director for The Communications Board, an organization with the mission of providing high-quality professional development for every communicator in every location. He is also the Global Lead for Partnership Communications at Gensler, the world’s largest architecture and design firm. Prior to his current role, he performed executive and CEO communications for Gensler, and was the senior director of public relations and social media at the Urban Land Institute. He obtained an MA in Communications and an MA in History from George Mason University. He did his undergraduate studies at the University of Missouri-Columbia. In addition, Robert has taught communications at universities including George Mason University, West Virginia University, and the University of Florida. Robert currently serves as Immediate-Past President for the Public Relations Society of America’s National Capital Chapter (PRSA-NCC) -- the nonprofit’s largest chapter.