Dr. Gail Ayala Taylor is a Clinical Professor of Business Administration at The Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. Dr. Taylor is also the Founder of RISE Career Launch and CEO of Ayala Halloran Taylor Group, LLC. She founded RISE Career Launch after years of witnessing extremely talented women and individuals from underrepresented groups struggle in their transition from college to career. Dr. Taylor joins Host Anthony Shop for a conversation highlighting the importance of creating an environment that is conducive to learning, her journey to launching the RISE framework, and how to set your career up for success.
- Professor Taylor emphasizes that learning is a two-way process, it’s not just broadcasting information but also engaging in a dialogue to truly connect with others. Her teaching style relies on making students comfortable enough to share their knowledge and learn from each other.
- The RISE framework helps promote two-way communication between junior employees and their managers. There are four parts of the framework: Relationships, Inquiry, Skills, and Expectations.
- The 'R' in the RISE framework stands for Relationships. Professor Taylor emphasizes the importance of building effective, positive personal and professional relationships. It is crucial for new entrants to connect with their peers, supervisors, and people at all levels of the organization.
- The 'I' stands for Inquiry. The framework encourages individuals to ask meaningful questions and gather information. The key is to be intentional with the questions you ask of your managers and those around you.
- The 'S' represents Skills. The RISE framework highlights the need for functional, interpersonal, and technical skills. Recognizing personal strengths and areas for improvement can help navigate conversations with managers about career growth and skill development.
- The 'E' signifies Expectations. It strongly emphasizes understanding and meeting the basic expectations as a priority before striving to exceed them. The focus is to ensure there are no surprises in performance reviews and that employees are on the same page as their managers.
- Marketing is a process of making and keeping promises to customers, focusing on offering high-quality products and services backed with exemplary customer service.
Quote of the Show:
- “We all can learn from each other, it's not just a one-way street. I might be in the front of the classroom, but I'm just the conductor of trying to help others connect and share their knowledge.” - Dr. Gail Ayala Taylor
Creators and Guests
Anthony Shop believes in the power of people-centered branding and marketing to create a bright future. He chairs the National Digital Roundtable, the premier convener of digital innovators, leaders and policy shapers. Anthony also is the Co-Founder and Chief Strategy Officer of Social Driver, a digital services firm that helps companies and non-profits establish winning strategies with social media, websites, creative, and advertising. An enthusiastic presenter and teacher, he has led executive-level training for Amazon, PepsiCo, NASA, The British Embassy and the Bipartisan Policy Center. He has been recognized as an “OUTstanding LGBT Role Model” by The Financial Times, “40 Under 40” by The Washington Business Journal, and Business Leader of the Year by the DC Chamber of Commerce. A former newspaper reporter, Anthony was the first new media professional elected to the National Press Club’s Board of Governors. He currently serves on the boards of Leadership Greater Washington and LearnServe International. He earned his MBA from The George Washington University School of Business, where he teaches as an adjunct lecturer.
Dr. Gail Ayala Taylor
Dr. Gail Ayala Taylor is a Clinical Professor of Business Administration at The Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. Dr. Taylor is also the Founder of RISE Career Launch and CEO of Ayala Halloran Taylor Group, LLC. She founded RISE Career Launch after years of witnessing extremely talented women and individuals from underrepresented groups struggle in their transition from college to career.
Robert is an Executive Director for The Communications Board, an organization with the mission of providing high-quality professional development for every communicator in every location. He is also the Global Lead for Partnership Communications at Gensler, the world’s largest architecture and design firm. Prior to his current role, he performed executive and CEO communications for Gensler, and was the senior director of public relations and social media at the Urban Land Institute. He obtained an MA in Communications and an MA in History from George Mason University. He did his undergraduate studies at the University of Missouri-Columbia. In addition, Robert has taught communications at universities including George Mason University, West Virginia University, and the University of Florida. Robert currently serves as Immediate-Past President for the Public Relations Society of America’s National Capital Chapter (PRSA-NCC) -- the nonprofit’s largest chapter.